West Alexandria Fire Department Chief Jeff Shafer said a man was taken to the hospital after rescuing three children from a Ray Road fire early Friday, Aug. 15.
Shafer said his department was dispatched about 1:58 a.m. to a house fire and received initial reports that all occupants were out of the house.
When his department arrived, a man in the front yard said he couldn’t breath. He was taken by CareFlight to Miami Valley Hospital due to smoke inhalation and was put on a ventilator.
Shafer said the man went back into the home to rescue the three children and returned into the house a second time to grab his cell phone and a few “odds and ends.”
A candle burning on a nightstand in a back bedroom, where one of the children was located, caused the fire, according to Shafer.
Hesaid that room was completely destroyed and commended the man for rescuing the child from the room.
Shafer said the children’s mother was also in the house and said he is unsure of the relationship of the man to the children. He said he thinks the children range in age from 3 to 7 years old.
Shafer said the mother and her three children were also taken to the hospital to be checked out, but were fine.
Shafer said there were no smoke detectors in the house.
Shafer thanked Eaton, Gratis and Farmersville for their help. He said his department arrived on the scene 11 minutes after the initial dispatch.
“I’m real proud of my department and the EMS,” Shafer said. “I’m just ecstatic about that.”