EATON — The Eaton Community Schools Board of Education approved a motion to enter a contract not to exceed $459,261 to replace the roof at Hollingsworth East Elementary School during a meeting on Monday, July 13.
The motion passed unanimously as the members of the board believe fixing the roof before more problems from water damage from the leaking roof occurs is the best course of action.
The contract will be with The Garland Company’s service arm, Design-Build Solutions Inc. who according to Priscilla Dodson, Eaton’s Schools Treasurer, provided a discount on the repairs to the roof because other jobs fell through for the company.
Dodson also informed the board three other bids had been received for the project. She noted, the school district has $1.5 million set aside for capital expenses like the repairs to the roof.
Tim Miller, Eaton’s Director of Operations, said during the meeting he deals with the same company for smaller repairs around the district and they are reputable company who he has always been happy with in the past.
Miller also told the board the company plans to start working the last week of July or first week of August and they will work from 3:30 p.m. to dark so students will not present at during construction time. He said he expect the project to take 25 work days from start to finish.
The roof will have a 25 year warranty once completed.
In other business the board received two presentations about the upcoming search for a new treasurer as Dodson is set to retire at the end of 2015.
Frank DePalma of the Montgomery County ESC (MCESC) and Steve Workman of the Ohio School Board of Education and Administration (OSBA) presented to the board explaining to them the process of hiring a new treasurer.
Both presentations feature similar processes that featured, building a candidate profile, recruitment or announcement of vacancy, screening or scoring the candidates and an interview and evaluation to conclude the process.
In other business:
• Dodson informed the school board for first time since she has worked for the district, the athletic department will not pay back the entire $60,000 advance they receive each year and the board gave the department $15,000 from the general fund the department will not pay back.
• The board accepted three resignations, Richard Hency, a teacher who retired, Alexandria Giacobbe, as a teacher and Susan Tinstman, central office secretary.
• The board approved the hiring of Patrick Flanagan as the Varsity Baseball Coach.
• The school will not participate in the state of Ohio’s seventh and eighth grade career technical education program as they wait for CTC to develop a program for 2016-17 school year.
• The board approved a motion to allow the Southwestern Ohio Educational Purchasing Council to place advertising for the bids for new school buses for the district.
The Eaton Community School’s Board of Education meets the second Monday of each month at 6 p.m. at Hollingsworth East Elementary.
Reach Austin Schmidt at 937-683-4062 or at email@example.com.